GAME REPORT: Lions defeat Glasgow in the English capital

London Lions 110 – 73 Glasgow Rocks

Match Report by Alan Caldwell

Glasgow battle against the Lions down in London but are unable to take home the win as a dominant third quarter performance from the Lions saw them come out victorious.

With seven games left in the season including tonight’s, the Rocks were looking to finish the year off in the right way after coach Murray had emphasised the idea of team basketball and giving more guys minutes on the floor down the final stretch of the season.

The first quarter started with the Lions coming fast out the gate, as they scored the first six points in the game and went on an 11-4 run to open up the contest, but it was Van Sauers and Jacdonmi both making layups who got the Rocks first points of the contest.

Despite the fast start by London in the first quarter, this didn’t rattle the Rocks as they went on a run of their own, outscoring the Lions by 17-5, as Gareth Murray scored a quick nine points and gave the Rocks their first lead of the night going up 21-18 with two minutes left in the first quarter. However, it was the Lions who ended the quarter better, with Lockhart hitting a long buzzer beater three to give London a 25-21 lead after the first.

Similarly to the first quarter, it was the Lions who started off quicker out of the two teams, as they went on a 8-0 run to open up the second quarter giving them their biggest lead out of the night going up 12, with the Glasgow shots just not falling in despite of some good ball movement and open shots for the Rocks.

Determined not to let the London lead get too big, it was Isa Brandon who weaved his way into the lane to make a layup, followed up by two quick threes from Jonny Bunyan and Marc Kwedi, helped cut the London lead back down to just five.

Going into the interval, both teams went back and forth on the scoreboard. However, it was Marc Kwedi who caught on fire for the Rocks. He followed his earlier three pointer up with back to back threes in the game to give him nine points in just seven minutes of action off the bench.

Despite this and the Rocks best efforts, it was the Lions who lead the way at halftime, as they closed out the last two and a half minutes of the second quarter on a 9-0 run, which saw Liggins score seven points and put his team up 51-37 at the halfway point of the contest.

To start off the second half, it was the Lions again who opened up the quarter quicker than the Rocks, as Liggins continued his scoring streak from before the interval, he scored another quick five points as the Lions went on a 12-1 run to open up the third quarter.

The third quarter woes for the Rocks continued as the shots just wouldn’t drop for them and the opposite was happening for the Lions who seemingly couldn’t miss in the first half of the quarter. The Lions were now on a 25-5 run with Liggins again leading the way for London.

Going into the fourth quarter, the Lions now had a commanding lead in the game after a third quarter which saw them out score the Rocks by 30-15, going up 83-52 in the contest.

Despite the contest now looking out of sight for the Rocks, they continued to fight in the fourth quarter, as Isa Brandon and Jonny Bunyan both hit threes to open up the scoring in the fourth. The Rocks continued their hot start from three point distance in the quarter, as Marc Kwedi hit his fourth three of the night, which was then followed up by Fraser Malcom who hit his third three of the game, also coming off the bench.

Three Rocks players finished the game in double digit scoring, with Isa Brandon and Boban Jacdonmi leading the way with 16 points each, however it was a game high 30 by DeAndre Liggins, who secured his team the win as the Lions beat Glasgow 110-73.

The Rocks now travel home to prepare for Sunday’s 3pm tip-off against the Cheshire Phoenix where they will be looking to turn things around at the Emirates Arena.

To view game stats CLICK HERE