GAME REPORT: Rocks break 100 points as they record back to back home wins

Glasgow Rocks 104 – 94 Manchester Giants

Match report by Alan Caldwell

The Rocks return to winning ways in the BBL against the Manchester Giants as a strong second half performance from Glasgow seen them clinch the victory at the Emirates Arena.

A narrow loss in overtime last time out against the Flyers was a tough one to take for Glasgow as they looked to use the late game disappointment as fuel going back home for the two games this weekend, as a strong shooting performance from the Rocks see’s them come out winners in the first of the two games this weekend.

The first quarter started off at a slow scoring pace for both teams as they couldn’t get their shots to fall early on, but it was Gareth Murray with a running floater in the lane who got Glasgow’s first points of the night, however two early threes from the Giants gave them a 6-2 advantage in the early stages of the game.

Looking to continue on his impressive scoring season, Christian Keeling hit the teams first three of the night which was then followed up by six straight points for Delph who has also been a standout for the Rocks in his first year from the states.

Despite the good scoring from Delph and Keeling in their first year with the team, the Giants continued to make baskets of their own as they made five three pointers in the first quarter, shooting 50% from three to start the game off, however a late jumper from Keeling and some stellar offence of their own saw the Giants only up 23-18 after the first quarter, despite making those five threes.

The second quarter started at a fast pace for the Rocks who brought in some of their bench players to get this quarter going, as it was Jacdonmi who finished at the basket to give him an early two points, followed up by a driving layup from Keeling who continued his strong start to the game.

However, it wasn’t only Keeling who started the game off with a hot hand as Giants big man, Marshall-Johnson looked determined to get his team the win, he lead the ball game with 12 points through the first quarter and a half going into the interval.

An 8-0 Manchester run mid-way through the second quarter gave the Giants their biggest lead of the night as they went up 11 points with the Glasgow starters sitting.

Determined not to let the lead get too big going into the interval, Delph and Keeling re-enter the game with Delph coming in, banking in a layup, followed by a made three and a converted and one opportunity, gave him a game high 16 points at the half which helped stop the Manchester lead get out of control as they lead the ball game up 51-39 going into halftime.

Going into the second half there was still plenty to fight for as the Rocks knew a strong third quarter to cut the Manchester lead down to single digits would give them a real chance going into the fourth quarter. Knowing this Glasgow started off the third quarter in good fashion as Keeling hit a three to start the half off.

Things only seemed to get better for the Rocks at the start of the third quarter as Bunyan caught on fire hitting three 3 pointers in a row which cut the Giants lead down to just four on the night after just four minutes of third quarter action.

Right back in the contest now, Bunyan hit another three as he seemingly couldn’t miss in the third quarter, he dragged the Rocks back into the game which energised the rest of the team as baskets from Delph and Keeling’s fourth three pointer on the night saw the Rocks go up by one point in the game which was their first lead since the first quarter.

Murray having a quiet game up to this point stepped up when his team needed him most as Glasgow continued to knock down their three point shots in the third quarter, it was Gareth’s turn to make a couple of back to back threes, followed by Delph’s three with five seconds left in the quarter to give the Rocks a 72-67 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Looking to keep the pressure on and see out the win now in this fourth quarter, again it was Keeling and Delph who continued to impress for Glasgow throughout the full game as Keeling cut into the basket for a made layup followed by another corner three by Delph.

The Rocks remained aggressive for the rest of the fourth quarter as they opened it up with a 12-2 run then never looked like giving up the lead from then on. A terrific second half performance from the Rocks saw them make 11 three pointers in the half as they get a much needed 104-94 win over the Giants.

Many players stepped up tonight for the Rocks as they had four players in double digit scoring, including a dominant 32 points and 18 rebounds from Ronald Delph saw him clinch another terrific double double as his two team mates Bunyan and Keeling both scored 26 points on the night, making nine three pointers between the pair of them.

Next up for the Rocks is another home game in just two days time against the Surrey Scorchers, as Glasgow will be looking to keep up the momentum from tonight’s win and grab another one on Sunday afternoon.

To view the game stats CLICK HERE.