GAME REPORT: Surrey halt recent Rocks winning form at the Emirates

Glasgow Rocks 83 – 99 Surrey Scorchers

Match Report by Alan Caldwell. Photos by Emily Worms.

The Rocks were unable to win back to back games this weekend as a strong second half performance from the Scorchers saw them end up winners at the Emirates Arena after a promising first half performance from Glasgow.

Coming off a win on Friday night against the Manchester Giants which saw the Rocks score over 100 points, Rocks had confidence going into the second game of the weekend. They scored 50 points in the first half, however a better close to the game from Surrey saw them come away with the win.

To open the game up for the Rocks in the first quarter it was Gareth Murray with a three to get the teams first points of the day as Glasgow looked to continue on their impressive shooting from Friday’s game. Both teams went back and forth on the scoreboard early on in the first quarter via a lob from Murray to Delph, followed by two quick driving layups from Keeling got the Rocks off to a positive start.

Despite this, it was the Scorchers who lead the way for most of the first quarter, as a 6-0 run gave them a seven point lead early in the game, before Keeling converted an and one opportunity to cut the Surrey lead back down, after the first quarter Surrey lead the ball game up 22-18 in what was a close encounter between the two teams so far.

Christian Keeling continued to impress  as he opened up the second quarter draining a three pointer to lead the game with 10 points at the start of the second with Glasgow looking to keep this a tight contest between Surrey.

The second quarter started mainly like the first as both teams traded baskets at the start of the second, it was Marc Kwedi with a driving layup and another and one opportunity, followed by a layup to give him four quick points and get the Rocks more points on the scoreboard.

Going into the interval with four minutes left in the second quarter, Glasgow took their first lead of the game going up 32-31 off of an 8-2 run for the Rocks which saw Jonny Bunyan hit his first three of the night.

Despite this the lead continued to change both ways as Surrey where determined to make this one a game, however, big three pointers from Keeling, Bunyan and two from Murray including a last second shot in the quarter capped off an impressive shooting run from Glasgow which seen them shoot 7/16 (43%) from three in the first two quarters as they lead the ball game 50-48 at halftime with Keeling leading the way on 13 points.

Looking to keep up the tempo of the game in the third quarter it was Surrey who came out all guns blazing at the start of the third, as they went on a 12-2 run at the start of the half.

Determined not to let the Surrey run last and get out of control, it was Delph with a layup followed up by another two driving layups by Murray as the Rocks went on a 6-0 run themselves to cut the Surrey lead back down.

Closing out the third quarter it was Delph and Murray who started to find their way to the basket as two made free throws and a wide open dunk from Delph followed by a driving layup from Murray into the lane gave both them a team high 15 points apiece going into the fourth quarter, however, Surrey still had a slender 70-65 lead over the Rocks.

Both teams where fighting hard at the start of the fourth quarter to try and win this close encounter looking like it would go right down to the wire, it was Keeling with a steal and layup to start the Glasgow scoring in the fourth, which gave him tied him with a team high 15 points alongside Murray and Delph.

However, it was Surrey who opened up the fourth quarter in better fashion going on a 13-6 which saw them go up 12 points in the game, giving them the biggest lead of the night so far.

Determined to fight back from the frustration and give Surrey a challenge in the last five minutes of the game it was Murray who made his fourth three of the game followed up by an and one conversion from Delph who made the basket after being whacked on the arm.

Despite this, it was Surrey who ended up winners in this one as they outscored the Rocks by a combined 18 points in the final two quarters of the game, winning the game 99-83.

Three Rocks players finished the game with double digit scoring as Delph lead the way with yet another double-double, he finished with 20 points and 12 rebounds, with Keeling adding 19 and Murray with 18.

The Rocks now prepare for the two games next weekend starting off with a tough encounter against the Eagles down in Newcastle before returning home to play the Bristol Flyers at the Emirates Arena.

View the game stats HERE