GAME REPORT: Third period comeback not enough to defeat the Flyers

Glasgow Rocks 79 – 87 Bristol Flyers

Match Report by Alan Caldwell

A spirited performance from the Rocks in the second game of this weekend however, it is the Flyers who come away with the win despite a strong third quarter display from Glasgow.

The Rocks travelled back home to the Emirates Arena for today’s game, after a tough defeat to a good Newcastle team on Friday night. One particular standout in that game was Rocks big man, Boban Jacdonmi, who recorded a double double and continued on that run today, looking lively at both ends of the floor and taking full advantage of the bigger role given to him.

The first quarter started at a fast pace with both teams making baskets back and forth early on, however, it was Jacdonmi who blocked the Flyers first possession of the game then followed that up with a layup to give the Rocks their first points of the contest.

Glasgow continued to put the pressure on the Flyers early doors as a jump shot made by Van Sauers and four quick points from Murray got the Rocks off to a good start in the first quarter.

Despite this, the rest of the first quarter belonged to Bristol as they closed out the quarter going on a 17-3 run, giving them a 13 point lead on the night and up 24-11 in the game, after quarter number one.

Determined not to let the Flyers lead get out of control in the game it was Gareth Murray and Marc Kwedi, who hit a pair of threes at the start of the second quarter in hope of trying to spark a Rocks comeback.

The Rocks continued their positive start offensively to the second quarter as Fraser Malcom drained the teams third three of the game so far, however, the Bristol lead continued to grow throughout the quarter as an 8-2 run with three minutes to go before half time gave the Flyers their biggest lead of the night going up 18 in the game.

Going into half time, it was Murray who hit his second three of the game after a Glasgow time out, which was then followed up by five straight points from Jacdonmi, who continued to finish aggressively at the rim through the Bristol contact. Despite this, going into the interval the Flyers lead the ball game up 50-34, with Gareth Murray leading the Rocks on scoring for the game as he had 10 at the half.

Going into the third quarter, the Rocks knew they had to cut the Flyers lead down to single digits if they were to mount a second half comeback, and did just that as a strong 10-0 run to open up the half saw the Rocks cut down the Flyers lead to just eight on the day.

The Rocks couldn’t of hoped for a better start to the second half, with Van Sauers, Jacdonmi and Bunyan all getting on the scoreboard as part of the Rocks 10-0 run to open up the third quarter.

Determined now and back in the game, Glasgow continued to chip away at the Bristol lead, as an and one opportunity converted from Isa Brandon, a Jonny Bunyan three and Jacdonmi adding more points, cut the Bristol Flyers lead down to just five points in the game.

Both teams went back and forth on the scoreboard for the rest of the third quarter, however Glasgow out scored the Flyers 31-16 in third and it was Jonny Bunyan who hit a buzzer beater three right at the end of the quarter to close the Bristol lead down to just one as they lead the game 66-65 going into the final quarter.

Now all to play for and the game hanging in the balance going down the stretch, it was Isa Brandon with a layup who opened up the fourth quarter scoring for the Rocks, followed by another driving layup in traffic by Kwedi. Despite this, it was the Flyers who opened up the quarter in better fashion, going on an 16-4 run at the start of the quarter, giving them a cushioned 12 point lead in the game again.

A brave effort from the Rocks, particularly in the third quarter, however, it is the Flyers who ultimately come away with the victory, winning this contest 87-79 at the Emirates Arena.

Four Rocks players finished in double digit scoring for the game as Gareth Murray lead the way with a team high 16 points and Boban Jacdonmi, who secured back to back double doubles over the weekend, finished the contest with 14 points and 16 rebounds, as the Rocks now get ready to take on the London Lions on Wednesday night at the Copper Box.

CLICK HERE to view the game stats.