GAME REPORT: Valiant effort by Rocks but ultimately defeat in Newcastle

Newcastle Eagles 98 – 78 Glasgow Rocks

Match report by Alan Caldwell

Glasgow battle against the Eagles down in Newcastle but are unable to take home a win as a strong performance and a depleted Rocks squad saw the Eagles come out victorious at home.

The first quarter started off good for Jacdonmi at both ends as he blocked the Eagles first possession and then followed up with a nice driving layup to get the Rocks first points of the night. Both teams went back and forth in the early stages of the first quarter as Newcastle flexed their offensive powers, it was smooth ball movement that found its way to Jonny Bunyan who hit the teams first three of the night, getting them off to a good start.

Despite this, a quick 8-0 run by the Eagles gave them an early nine point lead in the game before Jacdonmi got another block and two more points on the board, followed up by a Murray three as Glasgow were looking to keep the game competitive.

With the first quarter coming to an end, Glasgow went on a 9-2 run of their own to tie the game at 19. To close the quarter out it was Jacdonmi who continued to look impressive as him and Van Sauers earned points at the free throw line before Isa Brandon finished with an acrobatic layup followed by a Murray three which he was also fouled on and converted the four point play to tie the game.

The second quarter started with a jump shot made by Fraser Malcolm, however another fast start to a quarter from the Eagles saw them go on 8-0 run before Murray made a jump shot and Malcolm hit a three to stop the Eagles lead extending.

Playing a bigger role now and getting more minutes in the lineup it was Jacdonmi who continued to be aggressive for the Rocks on both ends of the floor, getting his third block of the night and adding another two points off an aggressive driving layup as the Eagles lead was cut down to just one, before Marc Kwedi hit two three pointers in a row to give the Rocks their first lead of the night.

Going into the interval it was the Eagles who were determined to cut the Rocks lead down and not let Glasgow get momentum in the game, Newcastle closed out the second quarter going on an 11-0 run which saw them regain the lead and go into the halftime up 42-34.

Still all to play for in the second half it was Gareth Murray who opened up the third quarter scoring for Glasgow, hitting his third three pointer of the night to give him a game high 12 points at this stage.

The good start made to the second half by Glasgow continued throughout the third quarter as six points from Brandon, another two by Jacdonmi and a Van Sauers three kept the contest close between these two teams.

Despite the fast start to the third quarter the Eagles then went on a 7-2 run with Cortez Edwards starting to find his shot as he put up five points in this mini run, giving him a game high 21 points on the night.

However, Glasgow where determined to keep themselves in the contest as a big three by Bunyan and a steal from Jacdonmi which saw him take the ball coast to coast for a dunk, really highlighted how much he’s enjoying the extra minutes and bigger role given to him.


Again though the Newcastle Eagles had a reply to each of the Glasgow runs with a run of their own, as they closed out the quarter on an 11-3 run which saw Fletcher make three driving layups and energise his team going into the final quarter.

Despite the Rocks having their best scoring quarter in the game so far it was the Newcastle Eagles who finished stronger out of the two teams outscoring Glasgow 31-24 with Newcastle up 73-58 going into the fourth quarter.

The final quarter started at a frantic pace with both teams hitting their respective three-pointers early on in the quarter, it was Murray, Malcom and Kwedi hitting threes for the Rocks at the start of the fourth, however a 17 point deficit was making it unlikely of a Rocks comeback.

Standout players for the Rocks in this game were Murray who finished with a team high 18 points and Jacdonmi who was relishing the opportunity of more playing time, he finished with a double double getting 15 points and 13 rebounds followed up with four blocks on the night, however it was the Eagles who won the contest, as the game finished 98-78.

A stellar effort from the Rocks who stayed in the game all night long and where full of fight and pride, however it was not enough as the Rocks now get ready to travel back home, where they will prepare for the second game of the weekend against the Bristol Flyers on Sunday afternoon at the Emirates Arena.

To view game stats CLICK HERE