GAME REPORT: Vital win for Rocks over in-form Worcester Wolves

Glasgow Rocks 89 – 81 Worcester Wolves

Match report by Alan Caldwell. Images by Joseph Epelomu.

The Rocks get back to winning ways in the BBL, defeating the Worcester Wolves in what proved to be a tight encounter between the two teams.

The Rocks coming off loses in the semi-final of the BBL Trophy saw this game as a perfect opportunity to bounce back and get a home win on the board.

A dominant game from Glasgow saw them have four out of the five starters in double digit scoring as they outscored the Wolves in the 1st and 3rd quarter of the game by a combined 12 points to see them out victorious on the night.

Jonny Bunyan opened the scoring on the night, sinking the first shot of the game, his three pointer got the Rocks off to a fast start, followed up by four quick points from Delph who looks to continue being a threat in his first year with the Rocks.

The first quarter continued to go the Rocks way as they went on 8-0 run to stretch their lead out to 15-9 thanks to another six quick points from the seven footer Delph.

A slow start from the Wolves and an energetic and aggressive beginning to the game for the Rocks saw them finish the quarter up 27-20 as Delph was already in double digit scoring on the night with 12 points through the first quarter.

Looking to keep up on there impressive first quarter and hold a lead on the game the Rocks go to Isa Brandon and Keeling at the start of the second quarter but missed layups more consistent defence from the Wolves helps them to cut the Glasgow lead to just three points mid-way through the second quarter.

The second quarter proved to be more scrappy as this brought about the lowest scoring quarter from both teams on the night as they were tied 15 apiece for scoring in the quarter.

The Rocks manage to preserve their first quarter lead and go into the interval still up 42-35, with Christian Keeling stepping up in the second quarter, scoring eight points to give him a total of 11 at the break, he was the second player to get to double digit scoring on the night with Delph having a game high 14 at halftime.

Going into the third quarter the Rocks looked to continue playing a high paced game and extend their lead out even further, which seemed to the case when early jump shots from Keeling and Delph where falling for the Rocks.

Despite this the Wolves had a reply for every Glasgow basket early on in the third, but again it was Delph and Keeling who combined, scored the first 11 points in the third quarter for the Rocks as they lead the game up by nine.

Going into the fourth quarter it was Jonny Bunyan and Gareth Murray who helped stretch out the Rocks lead to double digits with Bunyan hitting a jump shot followed up by his second three on the night, this followed by a Van Sauers driving lay up gave the Rocks their largest lead of the night up 14.

Despite going up big in the third, with one minute left in the quarter the Wolves try to fight back to cut the deficit to single digits and would’ve managed to do so if it hadn’t been for a quick hookshoot and made three by Gareth to see Rocks outscore the Wolves 25-20 in the third and giving the Rocks a 67-55 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Going into the fourth with a 12 point lead the Rocks knew this game wasn’t over just yet as the Wolves still with plenty of fight left continued to put pressure on the Rocks, but again it was Rocks big man Delph who opened up the scoring in the fourth with an emphatic dunk followed up by a lay up as he looked to make sure the win came home to Glasgow tonight.

The lead throughout the fourth quarter remained no less than nine points thanks to buckets from Bunyan, Van Sauers, Keeling and Fraser Malcolm who hit a lovely corner to extend the lead to 10 with two and a half minutes left in the final quarter.

Despite this is still wasn’t a done deal as the Wolves continued to be aggressive and see if there was anyway to claw their way back to victory throughout the full of the fourth quarter and two made threes by Bouwknecht in the final two minutes of the game, almost did just that as they cut the lead down to four points on the night.

With the gap now closed, there was time for the Wolves to try and go steal the win from Glasgow but it wasn’t to be, as tight defence and a missed layup by Bouwknecht forced the travelling team into sending Rocks players to the line in hope of them missing their free throws.

Late free throws from Keeling and Bunyan saw the Rocks run out 88-81 winners in the end to give them a much needed win. A big 20 points from Keeling and a game high 27 points and 10 rebounds saw Delph secure another double double in a dominant night for him.

The Rocks now get ready to play the Wolves again and will be hoping for a similar outcome next time out on Friday night down at Worcester.

To view game stats CLICK HERE