GAME REPORT: Spirited second half comeback not enough as Rocks lose to Wolves

Report: Worcester Wolves 83 Glasgow Rocks 77

By Craig Anderson

A spirited second half comeback almost saw Glasgow Rocks overturn a 14-point deficit, but Worcester Wolves held out in front of the Sky Sports audience to take an 83-77 win.

In a game that yielded some positives, including the long-awaited debut of Ronald Delph, it wasn’t to be for Gareth Murray’s men, whose winless run now stands at five.

Jordan Williams got the first points on the board for Worcester with a hook shot before Boban Jacdonmi responded with one of his own.

Points were traded at both ends as the game was level for much of the opening quarter, with Christian Keeling adding four points with a pair of jump shots then a lay up to make it 11-11.

Brandon Anderson notched a three-point effort to put Wolves in front again, which was followed by Delph’s first two points in Rocks colours with a dunk.

Worcester keep piling on the pressure though and by the end of the opening quarter, Rocks were trailing by nine points, with Anderson picking up 11 of the home side’s 29-point haul.

Keeling completed a free throw early in the second quarter, but three-point jump shots from Micah Elan and Henry Wilkins extended the lead even more for Wolves to put them very much in pole position.

Marc Kwedi and Isa Brandon led the charge for Rocks as they looked to close the gap down and got it down to eight at one point.

That momentum soon dissipated as Worcester took a foothold again, adding points from Matthew Bryan-Amaning, Williams and KJ Lawson to restore that 14-point gap at 45-31 with four minutes to go until the break.

Two David Mpondo free throws and a two-point lay up from Julius Van Sauers closed the gap again, but Bryan-Amaning once more ensured Worcester would be heading into the second half with a 14-point lead.

It seemed like quite the gap for Glasgow to try and claw back and despite finding the basket through either Keeling or Jacdonmi, the spread of points from Wolves continued to keep them well ahead.

Brandon got the deficit back to 11 at Worcester moved into a 61-50 lead as the third quarter ticked down towards its conclusion.

Williams looked good putting away free throws, as did Brandon and Keeling up the other end, but it wasn’t helping Glasgow bite into the lead their opponents had opened up.

By the end of the third, Rocks won the 10-minute session 21-20, despite Bryan-Amaning adding a late two point lay up and the three point jump shot missed by Keeling prior to that could have given Rocks a timely boost.

Anderson’s three point jump shot opened the lead to 16 for the home side, but Glasgow seemed to get a second wind as Brandon (2) and Bunyan (3) added some much needed points.

Delph started to stamp his authority on the game, picking up eight points in an impressive session to rack up 13 on his first outing as Rocks started to gain on Worcester.

Wolves picked up points to keep their noses in front as the minutes ticked down and with three to go, Marc Kwedi pulled Glasgow to within three points to set up a tense finale.

Lawson and Anderson restored a seven-point lead and while Keeling added further points, two late free throws from Lamaar Kimble was enough to see Worcester over the line and claim the victory.

For Rocks, it’s a small matter of a trip to London to face the league leaders on Saturday in a game that could be huge if Murray’s men can pick up an admittedly unlikely win.

Full game stats HERE.

Thank you JS Sports media for the images.