Rocks take down the Flyers in quadruple Overtime

Rocks saw off the Bristol Flyers in quadruple Overtime on Sunday night when they defeated the visitors 113-111 to seal their 9th straight home victory.

The first half was a low scoring affair with both teams going at it early in the first. The first quarter came to a close at 17-apiece but picked up in the second as Bristol outscored Glasgow 20-23 to take a 37-40 lead into the break. Rocks went down by as much as ten in the second but managed to narrow the gap toward the half way point.

The third quarter saw the lowest scoring period of the game as both teams struggled to get off the mark. After a strong start Rocks would go scoreless for almost 6 minutes, allowing Flyers to get back into the game and take a 49-51 lead into the fourth quarter.

Flyers would lead for the majority of the fourth quarter, at one point going up by 6 with 1:32 to play. Rocks fought back with 4 big points from Greg Pryor, who would also knock down the shot to tie the game at 69-69 with¬†10 seconds left. Flyers couldn’t bet it to go in regulation and the game went to overtime.

In overtime and neither team seemed to be able to pull away. Rocks went up by 5 in the 1st overtime but bristol clawed their way back with 1 minute remaining to 78-78. No team could buy a bucket and the game went into a second overtime.

It was a simialr¬†story in the second overtime as despite a solid effort from the team they couldnt¬†pull away. With the clock winding down and Rocks up 90-88, Flyer’s Fred Thomas then hit a shot on the buzzer to tie the game and send the game to a third overtime.

Another solid shift would see Rocks extend to a 7-point lead in the third overtime with 1:35 left. But even this was not enough as Flyers outscored Rocks 8-1 for the remainder of the period to tie the game at 102-102.

Rocks took the lead in the fourth overtime but it still remained close. With player beginning to tire out, Jonny Bunyan would check in and hit a huge shot for the Rocks to them up 107-104. Tadas Rinkunas would then make a big play of his own to make it a two-possession game, going ISO and driving inside for the layup.

That was enough for Rocks to seal the deal at 113-111. Kenny Carpenter finished as the games highest scorer with 21 points with Greg Pryor and Bo Zeigler also adding 20 each, Kieron Achara adding 19 and Tadas Rinkunas with 17 points.

Rocks are back in action next week when they travel to Leicester to take on the Riders followed by a return to the Emirates on Sunday to face the Cheshire Phoenix when they look for their 10th straight home win. Get your tickets now here.